Compare Hormone Replacement Therapy Treatments
For women who are experiencing the menopause, taking hormone replacement therapy can mean the difference between enjoying a higher quality of life or suffering unpleasant menopausal symptoms.
Simply select up to four HRTs from the table below to compare the features for each therapy preparation.
1. Elleste Solo (No), Elleste Duet (Yes), Elleste Duet Conti (Yes).
2. Elleste Solo (No), Elleste Duet (Yes), Elleste Duet Conti (Yes).
3. Elleste Solo (Continuously), Elleste Duet (28 days), Elleste Duet Conti (Continuously)
4. Elleste Solo (Continuous oestrogen-only), Elleste Duet (Cyclical combined), Elleste Duet Conti (Continuous combined)
5. Premique Low Dose Conj.Oestrogen (300mcg), Mexdroxyprogestogen (1.5mg) and Premique Conj.Oestrogen (625mcg), Mexdroxyprogestogen (5mg).
What these comparisons mean
Whether you have had a hysterectomy or not is a deciding factor in which HRT you are prescribed. As shown in the table, HRTs containing oestrogen like Elleste Solo and Evorel are only suitable for women who have had a hysterectomy. For women who have not had a hysterectomy and still have a uterus, the table shows that HRTs containing oestrogen and progestogen, like Elleste Duet Conti and Prempak-C, are more suitable alternatives.
The formulation and how you take each therapy also varies. Evorel Solo MX is a transdermal patch, while Premique Low Dose comes in tablet form. Likewise with oestrogen only HRT like Premarin, one tablet is taken daily on a continuous basis. In contrast, cyclical combined HRTs like Prempak-C are taken as one oestrogen tablet daily, with a progestogen tablet included on day 17 of therapy.
Although sharing some common HRT side effects like breakthrough bleeding and breast tenderness, the table shows that there are also dissimilarities. The common side effects with hormone replacement therapy patches like Evorel Conti include skin irritation where the patch has been applied and sleep problems. However, the side effects that are possible in oral HRTs like Elleste Duet include an increase in the size of fibroids in the womb.
With such a wide selection of HRT treatments available for women, knowing the main features associated with each therapy is key to providing you with a better understanding of how your HRT works and how it compares to others.