What is Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel?
Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel is used in the treatment of mild to moderate acne that can be used on the face, back and chest. The gel contains two active ingredients: adapalene and benzoyl peroxide. These both work in different ways, but together they help to reduce inflammation.
Adapalene is a topical (rub-on) ingredient that is part of a group of medicines called retinoids. It promotes skin cell turnover and prevents pores being blocked. Benzoyl peroxide has an antibacterial effect, whilst also peeling and softening the outer layer of skin.
How does Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel work?
Acne occurs when pores on your skin become blocked with sebum; a substance produced naturally by the sebaceous glands, which helps keep skin smooth.
Although acne most commonly affects those between the ages of 12 and 25, it can occur at any age, and all ages can seek treatment to reduce inflammation and blemishes.
Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel contains the active ingredients adapalene and benzoyl peroxide.
- Adapalene is a retinoid which works to help unblock pores and reduce inflammation, promoting skin cell renewal.
- Benzoyl peroxide is a keratolytic which breaks down keratin, a protein in the skin's structure. It has an antibacterial action, killing bacteria and helping to soften and shed the top layer of skin, unblocking the sebaceous glands. It also works to reduce skin oiliness.
It's important to continue with Epiduo Gel as it can take up to 4 weeks before you notice the effects on your acne.
This medicine is only available on prescription from your doctor, which can be obtained online.
How to use Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel
You should always follow directions provided by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Cleanse your skin (a soap-free cleanser is ideal) and dry thoroughly before applying
- Apply a thin layer of the gel to the affected area(s) once a day, usually at night
- Avoid your lips and eyes and do not apply to sore or sunburnt skin
- Always wash your hands thoroughly after application
- Depending on the severity of your acne, your doctor may ask you to use this medicine differently and you should always follow their advice
What dosages are available for Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel?
There is only one dosage available for Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel. Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel comes in tubes or bottles containing 30g of gel. 1g of gel contains 1mg of adapalene (0.1%) and 25mg of benzoyl peroxide (2.5%).
What are the side effects of Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel?
Not everybody using Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel will experience side effects, as medicine affects everyone differently. Side effects that have been commonly reported include:; irritant contact dermatitis; dry skin; reddening of skin; burning and skin irritation.
Less common side effects include; allergic contact dermatitis; sunburn and itching; swelling of face.
If side effects are severe, stop using the medicine for a day or so, and contact your doctor.
What are the precautions/interactions of Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel?
Whilst using Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel, you should avoid exposure to sunlight or sunbeds, as this medicine increases the skin's sensitivity to UV light. When outdoors, you should wear protective clothing and wear a broad spectrum, non-comedogenic SPF 50+ sunscreen.
- You should not use other medications containing benzoyl peroxide or retinoids whilst using Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel
- Be cautious when using skincare products containing astringents or alcohol, as these could cause additional irritation or skin dryness
- Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients, or on areas of broken or damaged skin or skin with eczema
- Do not apply moisturisers or cosmetics at the same time as using this medicine. Wait until the gel has been absorbed into the skin before applying moisturisers or any similar products.
- This medicine is only suitable for use by adolescents and adults over 12 years of age. It should not be used by children.
- You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to benzoyl peroxide, adapalene or any of the other ingredients.
If you fall pregnant whilst using this medicine, stop using it immediately and talk to your doctor, as this medicine should not be used during pregnancy. Breastfeeding mothers should also seek medical advice from their doctor before using Epiduo 0.1%/2.5% Gel.
How to buy Epiduo 0.1% / 2.5% Gel online
Combatting acne can be at any age and buying Epiduo 0.1% / 2.5% Gel online offers a hassle-free alternative. Once you've completed your short questionnaire, your details can be saved in your own member's area for future use.
Getting Epiduo 0.1% / 2.5% Gel delivered in the UK
Epiduo 0.1% / 2.5% Gel can be delivered straight to your home or workplace with discretion. Our premium delivery means, when ordered and approved by 4:30pm Monday to Friday, you'll receive your treatment the next day by 1pm. For London postcodes, you may be eligible for free same-day delivery.
Other options include a nominated day delivery, or you can choose to get Epiduo 0.1% / 2.5% Gel delivered to your local store for collection.