What is Competact?
Competact is an oral prescription treatment, used in the effective treatment of type 2 diabetes, particularly for individuals who are overweight or who struggle to make lifestyle changes. This treatment is also prescribed to individuals with blood sugar that can't be controlled by just the maximum tolerated dosage of Metformin.
Competact comes in tablet form, and works by lowering blood sugar levels. Both men and women above the age of 18, with type 2 diabetes, can use it.
What are the benefits?
Diabetes is the result of a deficiency in insulin, which is the main hormone responsible for the control of sugar in the blood. This leads to problems controlling blood sugar levels. As an effective diabetes medication, Competact helps manage Type 2 diabetes using its two active ingredients, which work to help keep blood sugar levels under control. Competact is recommended if metformin alone is insufficient in controlling your diabetes.
How does Competact work?
Type 2 diabetes is a condition that involves the decreased function of the pancreas, which cannot make enough insulin to moderate blood glucose levels. Competact contains two active ingredients - pioglitazone and metformin; each one having a different mode of action.
- Pioglitazone (a type of anti-diabetic medicine, known as a thiazolidinedione or glitazone) the purpose of this ingredient is to increase the sensitivity of muscle, fat and liver cells to insulin, which means that the body can make use of naturally occurring insulin. Pioglitazone also reduces the amount of glucose produced in the liver, and preserves the functioning of the cells in the pancreas (beta cells) that produce insulin.
- Metformin (a type of anti-diabetic medicine known as a biguanide) functions by inhibiting glucose production by cells in the liver, and by reducing its absorption from the intestines, to the bloodstream, after eating. It also increases the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin.
How does it work?
The two active ingredients metformin hydrochloride and pioglitazone hydrochloride both work to help treat Type 2 diabetes. Metformin is a biguanide, helping the body control its sugar levels. It does this by reducing the amount of sugar (glucose) absorbed from food by decreasing the amount of glucose produced by the liver. Pioglitazone hydrochloride creates the liver, fat and muscle cells to become more sensitive to insulin. This reduces the production of glucose produced by the liver, while maintaining the production of insulin.
What are the benefits of Competact?
There are a variety of benefits that can be experienced when using Competact.
- Competact provides effective treatment for patients whose glucose levels cannot be regulated by metformin alone.
- Competact includes two different active ingredients, combining the functions of both to manage the problems associated with Type 2 diabetes.
- The effectiveness of the medication has been verified by numerous clinical trials, proving that it helps control blood sugar levels both directly after meals and between meals.
- Competact is indicated as a second line treatment of type 2 diabetes, particularly for overweight patients, who are unable to achieve sufficient glycaemic control.
How do you take it?
One Competact tablet should be taken twice daily, preferably once in the morning and once in the evening, with or without food. It is recommended however, to take this medication with a glass of water. It is important to take this medication exactly as it has been prescribed to you.
While taking this medication it is important that you check your blood sugar levels regularly with your doctor.
How to take Competact
With Competact, you should take one tablet in the morning and one in the evening, either with or without food. If you find that the tablets upset your stomach, this can be minimised by taking the tablets with or just after food. They should be swallowed with a drink of water. For patients who are changing from Metformin only to Competact, you will generally be advised to add pioglitazone into the system slowly, so that you can safely reach the available dosage. You must always ensure that you read the instructions that come with this medication.
What dosages are available for Competact
Competact tablets are currently only available to buy from HealthExpress in the dosages 15mg and 850mg for pioglitazone (as hydrochloride) and metformin hydrochloride respectively. This has been known to have the optimum effectiveness whilst posing minimal risk of side effects.
Are there any side effects?
Like all medications, Competact does carry a small risk of side effects, though not everyone taking this medication with experience them. Common side effects with this medication include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and loss of appetite. Severe side effects include inflammation of the sinuses, sleeping difficulties and gas, though these are very rare.
Who can take Competact?
Competact is only prescribed for use amongst adults who have type 2 diabetes. If you are breastfeeding or have ketoacidosis, kidney problems or liver problems, a doctor may consider Competact unsuitable for you.
Certain medications cannot be mixed with Competact, so make sure that you mention if you are taking any other treatments when completing the consultation. Medications such as diuretics, beta-agonists and ACE inhibitors are generally considered to be unsuitable to be taken alongside Competact.
How can I buy Competact?
If you have been prescribed or recommended Competact in the past, you can buy Competact online at HealthExpress. We ask that you complete one of our short online consultation forms during the order process to ensure your suitability. Once your completed form has been assessed by one of our partner doctors, a prescription will be sent to our pharmacy. Our pharmacy will send your medication via free overnight delivery to you.
What are the side effects of Competact?
Competact has been clinically tested in a number of medical trials which have shown it to be effective and safe for use. However, like all prescription medications, there is a potential risk of side effects. Common side effects can include:
- gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhoea
Very rare side effects can include:
- itching, redness of skin and a reduction in vitamin B12.
Although these are very unlikely, if you have any concerns about a specific side effect or if you have an allergic reaction whilst using this medication, then contact your doctor for advice and additional information.
What are the precautions for Competact?
There are a number of precautions that must be considered before taking Competact tablets.
- Alcohol should be avoided whilst using this treatment.
- Pioglitazone (the key ingredient) can cause you to put on weight. You should check your weight regularly, and let your doctor know if you are experiencing weight gain.
- Competact shouldn't be used if you have a history of kidney failure/disease, heart disease/attacks, or a decreased liver function.
- Competact shouldn't be taken during pregnancy or when breastfeeding.
- You should also consult a doctor if you are due to have a surgery under general anaesthetic whilst using Competact. This is because blood sugar is normally controlled by insulin, so you may be asked to stop taking this medicine 48 hours before surgery.
How can I buy Competact online safely?
Competact tablets can be ordered online from HealthExpress by just clicking on the link below to begin your quick and simple online consultation. Your consultation will be reviewed by one of our partner doctors, who will assess your suitability, regarding the severity of your particular symptoms and the dosage available. If your consultation is approved, you will be able to buy this medication, safely and securely, and can receive it the very next day through our speedy delivery service.