What are Cerumol Ear Wax Drops?
Cerumol Ear Wax Drops is a traditional treatment that is gentle but effective. The drops are designed to help soften and remove earwax. These drops can also be used to soften earwax before syringing is carried out by your doctor. The drops contain refined arachis oil to lubricate and and chlorobutanol hemihydrate to soften and loosen the wax.
Cerumol Ear Wax Drops are available to purchase online or over the counter, without a prescription from your doctor.
How do Cerumol Ear Wax Drops work?
Cerumol Ear Wax Drops contain two ingredients: arachis oil (peanut oil) and chlorobutanol hemihydrate. These ingredients soak into hardened earwax to soften it, so it can then naturally drain out of the ear.
Peanut oil works to soften and lubricate hard plugs or deposits of earwax, while chlorobutanol helps to loosen the softened wax. It also has an antibacterial action to prevent infection.
In the case of very hard plugs of wax, or a lot of wax build-up in your ear, your doctor may suggest using Cerumol Ear Wax Drops to soften the wax before syringing (flushing out the ear with warm water).
Although these drops are available over the counter without a prescription from your doctor, they should not be used for more than 3 days without talking to your doctor for advice.
How to use Cerumol Ear Wax Drops
- Have a cotton wool pad to hand before using these drops
- Lie or sit down and tilt your head to one side
- Using the dropper put 5 drops into the ear canal
- You may need a friend or family member to help you
- Moisten the cotton pad with the drops and gently plug the ear, without pushing too far into the ear canal
- Remove the pad after an hour, or the next morning, and tilt your head to the opposite side. The drops and softened wax should drain from your ear.
- Repeat twice a day for 3 days
What dosages are available for Cerumol Ear Wax Drops?
There is only one dosage available for Cerumol Ear Wax Drops, which has been tested by medical professionals to ensure optimum effectiveness. The drops come in an 11ml bottle. Every 100ml of solution contains 5g of chlorobutanol BP and 57g of arachis oil BP (peanut oil). Cerumol Ear Wax Drops are also available in an olive oil formulation.
What are the side effects of Cerumol Ear Wax Drops?
Not everyone who uses Cerumol Ear Wax Drops will experience side effects, as everybody reacts to medicines in different ways. Your ear may feel full after using these drops, as the earwax swells as it begins to soften. This can temporarily affect your hearing and you may feel a little dizzy. If symptoms persist, ask your pharmacist or doctor for advice.
Although most people do not experience side effects while using this medicine, you may notice some irritation in your ear, a rash or redness. If this occurs, stop using the medicine and ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
What are the precautions/interactions of Cerumol Ear Wax Drops?
If you are taking any other medicines, including non-prescription medicines and herbal remedies, you should check with your doctor or pharmacist before using Cerumol Ear Wax Drops.
- You should not use Cerumol Ear Wax Drops at the same time as any other eardrops.
- Do not use Cerumol Ear Wax Drops if you have a perforated eardrum.
- This medicine should not be used if your ear canal is sore or inflamed.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date shown on the carton.
- Use within 6 months of opening.
- Cerumol Ear Wax Drops are suitable for use by children, adults and the elderly.
- They should not be used by anybody with a known allergy to peanuts or soya.
- Although this medicine is likely to be safe for use during pregnancy, pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should ask their doctor or pharmacist for advice before using Cerumol Ear Wax Drops.
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. If you suffer an allergic reaction, you should stop using the medicine immediately and contact your doctor.
How to buy Cerumol Ear Wax Drops online
To buy Cerumol Ear Wax Drops online, complete a short questionnaire including your preferred delivery address. For the UK, when completed and approved by 4:30pm, you will receive Cerumol Drops the next day. This is from Monday to Friday so includes Saturdays. If it's after 4:30pm, it will be delivered the day after. If it is a weekend order (including Friday evenings), Cerumol will be delivered on Tuesday.